Monday, March 11, 2013

Online Dating

This was definitely my favorite thing we've had to do in this class so far.  I really got a kick out of this experience, and never expected to ever be doing something like this.  I signed up for Plenty of Fish to do this experiment because I had never heard of the site and wanted to try something totally different.  After I signed up and saw how things worked I couldn't help but want to know about Ok Cupid.  So I ended up making an account on both websites just for kicks.
I would have to say that I had more success as far as women talking to me, on Plenty of Fish, but the website I enjoyed more was Ok Cupid because of its layout.  On POF I had 14 girls contact me compared to 6 on Ok Cupid.  I responded to everyone who contacted me because I didn't feel the need to ignore anyone based on what I saw on their profile.  Some of the conversations went a long way, and some of them only lasted a couple lines, but I at least gave them all a response.  On POF I had 3 conversations in which I really got to know a little something about the person I was talking to, and in other circumstances, we may never have had the ability to talk.  There was one girl in particular that I had a long conversation with that told me that she too joined the site for a class.  The difference is that she stayed on after the class was over because she enjoyed meeting new people, I will be deleting both of my profiles.
My overall experience of dating websites was positive for what I was looking for.  If I wanted to date, I might have said that this experience was unsuccessful, but that's not the case.  It was easy to find interesting people on both sites, but neither site had a good way of bringing me similar people, I usually had to find them on my own.  Just like the women in "Love at First Byte" the sites were sending me women who were bisexual when I said I wanted straight, as well as girls who had a 0% match rating.  I couldn't see myself find a potential wife out of a site like this, but based on the messages I've received, I could probably squeeze out a date.  And based on that, I guess it is possible for a user to find a match.

No comments:

Post a Comment